Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Lord's Prayer

I recently heard a teaching on the Lord's Prayer; it was a good reminder. Over the years I dismissed the Lord's Prayer as an actual prayer and only used it as an outline for prayer. This in it self isn't a bad thing, but the dismissal was due to silly things.

The Lord's Prayer is what I grew up saying in the Catholic church. It was too easy to say and say without giving much credence to what it means or says. I foolishly let what Jesus gave us go as I thought prayer should be so much more than a simple recitation of His words.

I am returning to this prayer because of the power and meaning behind it. It helps with meditation and reflection on who God is and who I am in relation to Him. It is simple. That's okay. Simplicity can be a powerful thing. A good reminder.

The other night the kids and I sat for dinner and I prayed that prayer. Both of the kids looked at me funny when I finished because it wasn't our standard meal prayer. I talked to them a bit about how Jesus gave us that prayer and how we shouldn't get caught in a stagnant prayer life. My daughter has it memorized but my son doesn't. I told him that we would work on that and pray this prayer more often. He was excited about that. And I was excited that he was interested.

Our Father who art in Heaven, Holy is your name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.
Amen.

This is what I pray. A conglomeration of different versions but the same pray nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment